Tuesday 26 January 2016

I'm feeling mighty lucky


In an effort to learn stuff, I joined the Mighty Lucky Quilting Club this year. Each month you get a skill lesson with practice challenges. The first month was all about bias tape applique. Never done that before! So off I went to buy a bias tape maker, some double sided tape and hit the stash for some fabrics. Sewing time is limited so I skipped practice suggestions and went right for a challenge and made a mini-quilt of my own design. Don’t get all excited people, it’s only some circles…


After I picked some colors (Kona Tangerine, Watermelon and Melon) I hit the white and made a quilted base for the applique. Then using my handy mixing bowls, traced the circle I wanted to follow for the applique.

Then it was on to making the bias tape. Those little bias tape makers are so cool! I added the double side tape and started sticking it down.

And then, sewing! I used a pretty variegated thread since I did not have any to exactly match the colors of my circles (trying to work from my stash!). I added three circles to the piece.

Once the applique was on, it still needed a little something, so I echo quilted in the variegated thread just a bit.

Final step, binding and a trip to the yard for some photos.





Overall, this 17" mini makes me pretty happy. I learned something new and I have something made in these crazy colors, which are not me, but I have been completely obsessed with lately.

Have you taken on any new skill challenges lately? Would love to hear all about it!
Adrienne

PS - I will be linking this finish up with my 1st Quarter accomplishments for the 2016 Finish A Long.

Oh, and this was the sky in my front yard just before I took these pics. How great is this!





9 comments:

  1. How much fun! Yes, this has been a time for me to try new things. I am currently working out of the book A Quilter's Mixology and trying to conquer those darned curves! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mini, and yay to learning new skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your mini! I liked this lesson but wasn't feeling inspired when I first read through it. I've been brainstorming ideas though, so hopefully I'll get to put it to use soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing! It looks great. I'm still trying to decide on what I want to do. I think I have an idea.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did for the challenge! I signed up for the Mighty Lucky Club also and I had so much fun playing with the bias tape. I can't wait to see what's in store for February!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly mastered that new skill - it looks great. I love your little name labels. Where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, Ade! The only real advantage I can see of falling behind on my Mighty Lucky challenges is that I get to see the loveliness that everyone else is making. Who knew bias tape could be so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out really lovely - I signed up but haven't tackled Jan's yet!

    ReplyDelete