Friday 5 February 2016

TBT: the one with plaid

So my friend Jenn over at A Quarter Inch from the Edge runs a TBT linky party once a month. I like these trips down memory lane, remembering the how and why and what happened to those quilts of the past.


Today, I give you Bricks and Morter. One of my earliest children.The book says June 27, 1999. Here is the Photoshoot back then. Draped over a car at camp. That's right, I had the knack even back then!


It was bright and happy and well...plaid, which I still love. Today it is not quite as bright and shiny, but I use it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. This quilt started its life as a camper, moved on to live in Roxbury while my hubbby and I were long distancing it, and now is my car quilt. Being there in case of emergency and protecting the back seat from dog and husband paws alike. 


It has been used. Which is what I think quilts should do. Be used. Being almost 20 years old, there is a lot of this happening



The fading is pretty heavy


And check out the dodgy binding and burn holes. Yes, burn holes.


This patch, which was clearly expertly attached, covers the biggest hole. Early weekend at the camp meant many quilts by the campfire. This one was a victim. Mind you I don't blame it entirely on the fire or the user. I blame the vodka. But that's another story, for another night.


Right, so here are a few poorly lit photos of this cherished member of our family. I'm glad I could share it with you.




Now, off to sneak off for some Friday Night Sewing! Oops, guess I missed the Thursday in TBT.
Adrienne

12 comments:

  1. Dude, I love all the plaids!! So great for camping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quilt...Awesome quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can call it Flashback Friday if you prefer... the link-ups open until Sunday for just that reason! I guess you figured out which of those 2½ inch squares were from your stash. Though as I recall you purchased enough yardage to provide me with the majority of the plaids needed to make my own. Gotta take some pics of that one next summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Seems so cosy and comfy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that this quilt has so many stories with it! It looks so comfy and well loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aah yes, the old faithful...this one reminds me of my Bob The Builder blanket that I made for my boy when he was 3....everyone makes fun of it when I cart it off to campfires & cookouts! Ha!! And guess who doesn't care?
    Me!
    (and the Honey Badger. He doesn't give a rats ass either.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt and great story. A well used and loved quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes a well loved and well used quilt. Just the way its meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely quilts are meant to be used! And the greatest compliment to the maker is that it is used and loved. So beautiful in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great that it's still being loved all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, especially the mention of vodka, must be a funny story behind that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plaids are sew great and sturdy, too!

    ReplyDelete