Monday 16 December 2013

Bear Stockings: A Finish

...Wait for it...Wait for it... I made something that is not a quilt! I don't know why I get so proud of myself when I make something other than a full fledged quilt, but it is really a break-outside-of-my-box kind of thing. Now mind you, this project does involve fabric, batting, thread, and quilting, but it is not a quilt. It's a stocking!
I bought some of Laurie Wisbrun's Brrrr! last year. These polar bears just make me smile.
I used the Falling Flakes Tutorial from Imagine Gnats to whip these QAYG babies up.Yeah, you heard me, I made two! One for me, and one for the Mister.

I loved the color scheme in the main fabric so I stuck with it. I hit the stash for some reds and aquas

This one is mine. The obvious choice since somehow my polar bears landed on their heads!I have to admit that I did have to take a quick jaunt to You tube to see a visual of how you get the lining inside the stocking. And while I figured this out, I was paying too much attention to the lining and my bears landed upside down.
Oh well, I still like their peek-a-boo ways.

I have been meaning to make us stockings for five years now. Five. I'm felling pretty good about finally just doing it. Now I need to go stuff these with goodies!

What are you working on these last few days before the holidays?

Linking up this week at 
Happy Sewing - quilt or not!
Adrienne

22 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I feel like a bad quilter because I bought us stockings from Target this year LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stocking! Love the colours - that Brrrr line (or however many Rs there are) is sweet! I really need to go make myself one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! You made something that isn't a quilt! ☺ The stockings are lovely... though I think you raided my stash instead of your own to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!! I just finally finished up the stockings for my two little guys.
    At some point i'll make some for me and the mr.!
    Thanks for the link, i may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I do so like the looks of that polar bear - he is pretty darn cute. Currently, I am sewing pillow covers that do not need to be finished until the end of January, you know - to put off all the WRAPPING that I still have left (oh ya and that one quilt that needs basting and quilting before xmas) to do. Haha! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your color choices. I am working on some (6) receiving blankets and a sewing machine tote! Just got the order this morning for Christmas! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your peek a boo polar bears. I have to make a sock too. Better get a move on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stockings! I've admired that Brrrr fabric line but never got around to getting any. It's a fun fabric for stockings. Your peeking bears are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute and just love those fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are super cute, including the cheeky peeking bears :)
    Maybe you should do a tute for us....?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute. I love the Laurie Wisbrun fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these! Such cute and fun fabric! Congrats on the finish - 5 years in the making. I am working on stockings too! I'll probably be working till Christmas Eve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your stocking!! So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love them! I've been wanting to make some for us too, but I keep running out of time! Maybe I should plan to make them in July next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How awesome! Love the colors and the little bears--just enough seasonal stuff without being overly xmas-y.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Lovely! Those polar bears are so cute, and I love the QAYG that you used. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your stockings! I had some trouble with the first lining I did, too - thank God for online tutorials! These are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are super cute. I'd totally do something like the upside-down polar bears too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not too big on projects other than quilts either! The stocking came out soooo cute though! Love the colors and even the upside down bears(didn't notice till you said). I definitely gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! I love the Brrr! line as well and the polar bears' peekaboo ways. :) Way to go, Adrienne. Stockings are still on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these! I've been looking for some I loved and I think I will try out this tutorial because you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete