|My stash today. All 24 boxes are full. A lot of the tops will not close...|
|the "Large Cuts" drawer|
I am in! Here is how it works...
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $ I spend on stashing - I want to go to Quiltcon in 2015. let the saving begin!
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
- No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.
- At 6 months I will reevaluate and decide whether to keep going for the full year.
- I am extending the fabric fast to books / patterns / magazines too. I have so many on my shelf now, I need to use them (See The Library Project for how I am handling this issue). I currently have a subscription to Quilty magazine, I will keep that until it expires.
- I can purchase batting or quilt backing fabric to finish projects but will try to piece backings from my stash where I can, and I am going to hit the thrift stores for things like cotton sheets as an alternative to buying "new' fabric for backings.
- I can buy white or background fabric e.g. another solid if I need it.
- I can purchase thread or notions, as needed.
- Commissioned Quilts - fabric for those quilts can be purchased - they pay for themselves!
- For Bees - I am in two quilt bees. Both work using fabric in your stash, but for the rare occasion where I do not have what my bee mate needs, I will have to make a purchase
|Tops waiting for assembly and quilting|
Also as part of the challenge, I need to lay out my UFO/WIP list, to keep myself on track. Here is the list:
- Patchwork Wheel - needs backing and binding
- Postage Stamps Quilt (Commission) - pretty well everything needed. Top is started.
- Giant Star Quilt (times two!) - needs to be quilted and bound
- x and + Quilt - needs to be quilted and bound
- Churn Dash Quilt - Top needs piecing, quilting and binding
- Sugar Block Club - Everything! Only have 4 of 12 blocks made
- Tennessee Road Quilt - Everything! Fabric cut. That is all.
I am feeling pretty stoked about this Fast. Will you be taking the challenge this year? You are not alone :) Thanks again Leigh Anne for lighting that fire under my butt!