Sunday 30 March 2014

Fessing Up: Confessions of a Fabriholic

If you remember, back in January I took up the gauntlet thrown down by Making Rebecca Lynne and started Fabric Fasting. For six months. We are three months in and I have some confessions to make.

Confession #1 - I bought  a piece of cream flannel, This was a backing needed for the Piper Stars Baby Quilt. One of my original rules, it's OK to buy fabric to be able to finish UFOs or custom orders. This was a custom order.  NO SIN


Confession #2 - I bought five yards of shot cotton for a Library Project quilt. Supplies for The Library Project were in my permission rules so this was OK too. And even though when it came in the mail and the color was not what I expected, I put it right in to use as a backing for another Library Project Quilt - Summer Tracks. NO SIN

Just ran out to snap back pic in freezing rain. This weather is getting old.
Confession #3 - I bought 5 yards of Kona for a custom order (Lush Charm Pack Cherry), which is ok, BUT then I got a little out of control. While putting the Kona in the cart at my favorite on-line Shop Mad About Patchwork I thought about what a good time I had making my Summer Tracks Quilt and wanting to make more from that book - City Quilts. Sometimes Pam carries kits for this particular book and low and behold she had one. So I bought it. And then, the old "well I'm paying for shipping anyway" thing kicked in and I also bought a FQ bundle of sun print by Alison Glass. These were purely "I want" purchases so BIG TIME SIN
This is a picture for the kit, not my finished quilt
Confession #4 - And last but not certainly least, I bought 20 - yes 20 FQs from Ella's Cottage last weekend. Just because. Well because (she says in a super quick high voice) it was a special MMQG Sew In Day and Leigh Anne was all the way here from PEI... no excuses.  EPIC SIN


Sooo, not doing so great at the Fabric Fasting. But I think it could be a lot worse. And frankly, looking back over the last few months, these are the things I have made from my stash...

I made two of these
AND I have five more projects on the go made from stash fabrics: Triangles QAL, two Giant Star Quilts, Volume Quilt for TLP and Lush Charm Pack Cherry.

I hereby grant myself a pass on my fabric purchasing sins because I really am working hard to use my stash, AND life is short people. I will do better in the next three months:)

Are you fasting? How is it going? No judgement here :)
Adrienne

16 comments:

  1. You had me laughing as I read your blog this morning! The "paying for shipping anyway" thing must be one of the best excuses for adding to the cart! I know exactly what you mean 'cause I've done it too. I was trying, well, not to fabric fast, but at least cut back, but when you work at a quilt shop and fondle new arrivals .... it's so hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually skipped #3 so you're doing better then you think:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you! Remember what Ben said when I mentioned fabric fasting... it really does make us happy. And a little happiness isn't a bad thing. And you have been using lots of your stash to make lovely things. NO SIN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think making a conscious effort to reduce your fabric purchases counts for a lot..or that’s how it rolls in my house! I always say to myself, well, I COULD have bought that, too....lol That attitude completely allows for random fabric and supply purchases. Oh, and never leave me home alone on a Friday night. Historically I make my biggest purchases on Friday evenings..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I don't sign up for any sort of fasting-I know I'll break it and then feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, your projects are awesome too. Anyhow, not to be outdone, I ordered fq from Leigh Anne since I missed her at the sew in!!! Had to feel like I wasn't missing out on everything from that day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, I think for most of us the goal was to make a dent in our sizble stashes. And you are definitely doing that. If nothing else, you are certainly more aware and conscious of your purchases and that, my friend, is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the fabric fast is a means, not an end. Did it help you make better choices? Did it keep you focused? Did it make you happy when you made up the rules? and... did it make you happy when you broke them? As Jenn says, fabric makes ups happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand the guilt! I, too, am trying to refrain from buying fabric. It is HARD to stop! There are so many justifications that allow the purchases. I agree with Jennifer, that it is more of an effort to be conscious of the purchases. Good luck with the next 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stash makes are so pretty! Just keep sewing it up, that's the point right! You made some lovely purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that text fabric might have done me in, too! I'm not buying, but not really sewing either, so I have no excuses: the stash just sits there Keep on using the stash, and you can buy here and there. Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! I love your no sin/big sin system! =) What a great smile for me this morning!

    You're doing great! I've fallen a few times, but no where NEAR what I used to purchase. Every step counts, even backward steps! =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adrienne, I understood that if a custom piece was in the works, we could buy that so all is not so sinful, enjoy, life is short!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why you had problems resisting those text fabrics... completely understand! You're making wonderful stash work too so that makes up for any little slips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's my confession: I buy loooooooooooooooots of yards of all kinds of stuff for no project in particular! But thank goodness I have the Library Project to use some of them up eventually ; ) I had forgotten about your Piper quilt... lovelovelove! The back came out beautifully! Definitely my all time fav line form last year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your fabrics are beautiful. I figure as long as you have room for your stash and the stash makes you smile, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete