Monday 10 March 2014

Union Jack Action

On the Blog circuit there has been talk of Quilty Bucket Lists. I haven't been exactly following the hop, organized by The Tilted Quilt, but it got me thinking. What have I been wanting to make? That one thing I always think about, but never quite get to. So I pulled a few fabrics and finally made something Union Jack.


I am sure I am late to this party, but I have to tell you that I have loved this "flag" since being a kid. I think it was always the bold colors, straight lines, graphic goodness that had me smitten.


I needed  a pick me up. A pick me up in the quilting area. I am struggling so much with quilting actual quilts. Puckers, tension, general madness, I have been unhappy. You put so much time and love into piecing a top, that when the quilting does not work right it makes the whole project suck. So I needed a boost of quilty confidence. This pillow did the trick.



Simple straight lines, some echoing, and not a pucker in the bunch! I think small projects is where it is at when it comes to quilting on my machine. Definitely need to plan for QAYG with the next quilt. Far less stress.



Well...God Save The Queen! Here's to Quilty Bucket Lists!
Adrienne 

http://thetiltedquilt.blogspot.ca/2014/03/quilty-bucket-list-week-2.html

17 comments:

  1. I love your take on the Union Jack! Years ago I made my Dad a Union Jack corduroy vest and a giant terrycloth Union Jack bath sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! A pattern also on my quilty bucket list. :)

    You've chosen wonderful fabrics and your quilting is fabulous. So glad your quilting mojo returned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. Love your fabric choices here. Happy sewing thoughts to you - it is sooo frustrating when the quilting does not go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous fabric choices! What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! And it is a perfect quilty bucket list item - you can now check this off and move on. I've totally been there with discouraging thoughts - you need to take a step back and it will come to you, I promise! Thanks so much for linking up with us, I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I haven't made any pillows yet but there's a few on my list to make. If I start to feel stressed out, I'll take your advice and make a pillow :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pillow, Adrienne (and I am not even a fan of the Union Jack). I am so glad you showed close up of the quilting. It is perfect.Great way to get your confidence back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! I definitely find it helps to take a step back from big projects occasionally to have a roaring success on a smaller scale :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, Ade! I'd be lying if I said that "something Union Jack" wasn't somewhere on my proverbial quilty bucket list. Isn't it great to have a small project turn out so nicely? Nice pick me up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabrics your chose for this pillow! Your quilting looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pillow came out great - love how you quilted it, Adrienne, and love the vintage look! (Side note, what is that grid paper neutral you used for the white stripes?? I *adore* it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pillow looks great! Jan from Sew and Sow Farms sent me to say hi! She is participating in the Think Ruffles blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why "flag"? It really is our flag! Except it's not called the Union Jack, it's actually called the Union Flag. The Union Jack is only flown on a ship. Whatever you want to call it, yours is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm jumping on the Union Jack late myself with a new project in the works. What size is your block and is there a tutorial for it? I found the huge Jack Attack QAL but this seems more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely ... where did you get your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, had to visit the Union Jack post too...my mum would love this pillow. She came here on a one-year working holiday in 1958. Yep. Met my dad, and the rest is history as they say. But she is and always will be, a Brit at heart. Regarding the puckers, etc., have you tried 1) using quilt basting spray and 2) quilting in thirds? Those two strategies changed my quilting life on a DMS.

    ReplyDelete