Tuesday 24 June 2014

O Canada! Pilllow: A Finish

I swear on a stack of Anne Rice novels that I did not plan this. But it just so happens I have a Canadian Flag pillow to share with you, just  under a week away from Canada Day!


You see, a little bit ago I was asked to make a Union Jack Pillow for a friend's daughter. It was a birthday gift.


But this friend has another daughter, with another birthday, so a Canadian Pillow was ordered :) I had a great time making this pillow. The quilt block is from Cheryl Arkison's Oh Canada! pattern.




I loved learning Cheryl's slab technique. For sure a method I will use again.



For quilting, simple straight lines and the maple leaf is machine appliqued. And on the back, some strips from a previous project found a good home.


I love this little pillow, I hope it's new owner will like it too. Do you have any Canadian themed projects on the go, or even sewing plans for the Holiday weekend? I am going to the MMQG Sew In, looking forward to a  full day of stitching bliss!


This project was my June Goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes. So linking up over at Fiber of All Sorts. And, linking up Fabric Tuesday
 
Happy Canada Day!
Adrienne


19 comments:

  1. Oh Adrienne....this is quite lovely! Red and white are so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - love the red & white used this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! And Cheryl is in the process of making a quilt as well so I thought I was seeing double when you posted this on IG LOL. My girls have gone to the grandparents for two weeks so I will be spending Sunday locked away with my sewing machine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Cutting a shape from a slab is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am at my daughter's in Seattle for a 4 day crafting weekend. She is a scrapbooks along with the others coming and I am the only quilter!!! Maybe I can reform some of them!!! I came by train from North Dakota. Here in the states our 4th of July celebration is a week from Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Tuesday finish? You wild woman, you! Looks fab! Happy pre-Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project too. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pillow! I made myself a maple leaf banner for Canada Day. You can see it on my blog at http://stuffimadethisweek.blogspot.ca/2014/06/patriotic-patchwork.html.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just took a 2 day class with Cheryl and it was awesome! Love this Canada Day pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out great. I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this pillow! Am going to have to get this pattern, as that "slab technique" looks pretty cool. Your thumbnail pic grabbed my attention on Sew BitterSweet Designs! Happy Canada Day to you too! Love our country. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pillow. Yay for our Maple Leaf Flag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this pillow. What a great project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete