Sunday 25 May 2014

Feeling Grateful

It's been seven months since I put the call out to my community to see if anyone would be interested in being part of a Modern Quilt Guild. There are now seventeen amazing women who make up the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild.

http://maritimemqg.blogspot.ca/

We are meeting twice a month for sharing, learning and sewing! I am feeling so grateful to have a group of folks who think like me! Who love to make things and are powered in their life by fabric, thread and the whir of their machines.

Yesterday was our May Sew In. We had three new members sewing in, a brand new member drop in to sign up, and we got to meet one of our original members (who lives a few hours from the city) for the first time! It was an amazing day.


But what really touched me yesterday... this


Linda, of Scrapmaster fame, made this Pillow to thank me for starting the Guild. Look at this amazing creation. She made with with scraps from a Sew In we held at her house and she pebbled it like crazy! My favourite. And how about my initial quilted in the middle! So cool.


I am not a religious, or even a spiritual person, but I am feeling blessed to be meeting and getting to know such amazing people.



So with a spring in my step, I am off for a week of travel around the Province for work. But in my suitcase I have some HSTs for pressing and trimming and some super warm feelings about this great quilty weekend.


How do you connect with quilty folks in your community? I would love to hear about it.
Adrienne

14 comments:

  1. I echo your sentiments, Adrienne! I'm loving this new quilty opportunity and all the experiences that are coming with it. Kudos to you for getting it all going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a fabulous pillow! Your little group is growing - that is so wonderful. (and Linda's place looks amazing to have your sew-ins!)
    I connect with fellow quilties through bi-weekly gatherings, workshops, meetings, coffee breaks, shopping, travelling, shows, a glass of wine, a walk, and so many more wonderful ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great number in your group. Sounds fun. The pillow is GORGEOUS

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are a wonderful group! My life has changed since you started the guild and I just had to make you something to show you how much I appreciate your initiative and efforts. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome that you now have a quilt guild up and running. Good for you to take the initiative to start one! And I love that initial quilted into the pillow. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a thoughtful guild you have there!
    Love that pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pillow and recognize some of those scraps :) I so wish I was closer and could come to the sew ins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't think I could have said it any better. It's be awesome meeting new people and seeing all the great projects. I had a great time yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice, I wish I had a guild I could join, I went to one meeting one time, but didn't feel it was the right fit for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cushion - that pebbling must have taken hours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful to meet like minded people-great to have an instant connection with someone; and really, my family does not want to talk about fabric. The online world is great, but getting together in person offers a much more meaningful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so fortunate to have such a great group of gals! Your new pillow is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful group you have, Adrienne! I wish I could connect with my local MQG, but its meetings are too far away and on a terrible day for me to ever try and get there. I do love my local QG, though, and there are a nice group within it that love modern, but hopefully when we move next year, I'll be closer to any guild where I'm not the youngest by a generation : P Being part of a like minded group is really a blessing regardless of personal tastes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only had to sit through one meeting to understand why Linda would make you a gift. It's so obvious that you really care about this group and you put your heart and soul in everything you do. You're lucky to have such a wonderful FM pillow from Linda, and we're lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete