Tuesday 22 May 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

I am pretty excited to be submitting my very first entry to the Bloggers' Quilt Festival!

The guidelines said to enter a quilt that you loved. You will have seen my entry quite recently, but I am in love with it and what I learned that I decided that it was the one!

 "Through the Trees" was made for one of my very best friends on her 40th Birthday.

I used this tutorial from Kate Conklin Designs. I started this quilt back in January, and frankly it has taken me so long to finish because it was my first attempt at straight line quilting. Needless to say, I had a lot of learning to do!
Problems started early in - puckers! But after a consult with the Modern Quilt Guild I started to figure out my sewing machine - a LOT less tension, longer stitches, slow and steady, and making sure my quilt sandwich was solid and flat, flat, flat! The end result still has a few puckers, but I am going to depend on the final wash and pucker to take care of them :)
Then it was on to binding...I have been quilting for many years, but was self taught about 15 years ago. Now the things I am learning in the virtual modern quilting world is blowing my mind! For this quilt I used a combo of tutorials from Red Pepper Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts. This new to me method is so great, and still allows me to machine stitch the binding which is what I prefer.

In the end, I am happy with the results of the quilt, am congratulating myself for pushing my boundaries. The best part? My friend Krista LOVED her gift!
Thank you for stopping by
Adrienne

12 comments:

  1. I love your quilt. This is my first time to your blog and I enjoy it -- keep up the great work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lyanna! I am VERY new to all of this but am having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful - love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great tutorial and I love the fabrics you chose! Beautiful quilting job, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a sweet friend! This is some intense stitching for your first go around! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course your friend loves her quilt. It's amazing. That is a lot of quilting. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible gift! I love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wonkiness of your quilt contrasted by the straight line quilting. Well done. I had to laugh reading your bio because I could have written it myself. Also see you're a new blogger like me. Wanna follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is great, it's the perfect pattern to really showcase the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete