Tuesday 19 June 2012

Plus some 1930's

This past weekend was a quilting marathon . I have decided to make a move into a friend's house in just a month, so I was hot to finish a project that needs to be in the mail in August. The result of this fevered sewing was this


I have been keeping (ok maybe hoarding) a stash of 1930s reproduction fabrics for quite some time. Once I made a Triple Irish Chain with these fabrics which I totally loved, but since then was at a loss of how to take these retro small scale prints and make them read "modern".



I have seen a lot of this "plus" pattern lately and I thought this would make a great pattern to highlight the prints. So I did it! Baby size for an soon to come little boy, I am very happy with how this one turned out. I kept the quilting simple and used a sunny yellow backing.



The pattern is very simple. I used 5" blocks, but you could make the blocks whatever size you like just keep them all the same. Lay them out on your design wall (for me the floor..) into the plus pattern and sew together rows and columns.


When piecing this type of top, I use a chain-piecing method I picked up somewhere along the line, do all the columns and then the rows. Makes piecing the top very quick. Here all of the rows and done, waiting to do the columns.


I was so in the zone on Sunday that when I finished the binding I still wanted to do more! I took one look at my stained ironing board, and the leftover yellow backing fabric and the board got a makeover!



So it is time to start packing my stash and machine (and me beautiful ironing board) to get ready for the move. I am just moving to a new neighbourhood in Ottawa, so not a giant move, but of course the first thing to do will be to set up a place for me to sew!

Thank you for stopping by
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment