Now having fun can sometimes get away from me. What you say? Is there such a thing as too much fun? Not normally, trust me I like a good bit of fun. But what I do do is get so keen to do a million projects that I try to do too much, get overwhelmed and do nothing! Not good. Not sure about you, but I love my Google Reader where I get to peruse all of these great blogs for inspiration. The problem is is that there are things like “Alongs”, Swaps, Bees, BOMs (Block of the Months in case like me you were like what in the heck is a BOM??), WIPs, Link Parties and so on. They all look so delicious that I want to do it all!
So I need to compromise with myself. I am going to do a couple of external projects so that I can connect with other quilters, learn and have fun. But I am also going to focus on projects that I have either been wanting to finish up or wanting to start.
So without further ado, here are my “lists” for 2013
Stuff outside my house
- I am super excited to report that a Chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild is getting started here in Ottawa. I have joined their Flickr group, and I am stoked for next steps!
- I will continue with the Stash Bee this year. I am in two Hives and am still enjoying it
- I have joined the Sugar Block Club, a BOM, January is month one so I better get cracking
- I have two quilts on the go right now, Postage Stamps and Foreign Currency. The tops are both done, so I am committing right now to finish these babies before I start another project!
- I have fabric purchased for a couple of projects that will be next in line. These include a lap sized Ascend, a baby Sized Flower Chain, and a Pantone Pop (your guess is good as mine when it comes to the size of this one :))
- I have a couple of UFOs that have been floating around for years (seriously people, years). They are both baby related, one is a black Bento Box pattern and one I like to refer as "retro happy". Need to get these done. Seriously.
- A couple of patterns that I would LIKE to do this year are a Union Jack something and I want to make Tula Pinks Coastal Cruiser Pillow.
- For about four years I did not buy fabric, only the odd piece for backing or binding. I worked solely out of my stash and did with what I had. Now mind you I did not do a lot of projects, but it felt good to use what I had. This last year, as I have gotten back into quilting more, I have been buying fabric and building up my stash. A year of purchases has made my stash happy again, so time to put a stop to purchases.
- So, no more fabric purchase with two exceptions:
o Backing and binding is ok – but it must be on sale!
o I have joined the Stash Stack Club at Pink Castle Fabric which will give me a ½ yard bundle each month of a particular color. This will be great to round out missing colors e.g. I had to make a bee block this week and I did not have one piece of red fabric. Not one piece!
- Absolutely no purchases that involve quilting books or patterns! Again, 2012 I built up my library with some amazing modern titles. I have enough patterns for a million years! I will work from what I have or share with others. Or maybe even make my own!
my last 2012 book purchase. Can't wait to dig in!
Stuff about Blogging
- Not much to say here except that I need to keep blogging here – I like it!
- I will continue to link up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I like this link party and feel it keeps me on track each week. Plus it is great to see what others are working on.
- On Face book at the New Year one of my “friends” had this message posted: “2013 Creative Pay-It-Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me, sometime in the next calendar year, a gift - perhaps a book, or baked goods, or a candle, music - a surprise! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status!!"
- So not only did I put my name down right-some-quick, I posted to my FB page as well. Now I have five creative gifts to send over the year. I think I will do something handmade!
Oky dok, that is a lot! But, I feel much better now that I have put it down on "paper". I can hear my husband saying right now... "honey, you start organising when you enter a room". He's right, I do.What can I say, organising makes me happy!
Hoping you find what makes you happy this year.