Tuesday 27 August 2013

WiP Wednesday: The one with cutting

Not sure about you, but when things get a little stressy in life, I turn to the cutting mat. Sometimes even stitching two pieces of fabric together is too taxing (dear lord, woe is me, feel free to stop reading now, can you say pity party?!), I just want a rotary cutter in my hand. Seems like pretty cheap therapy to me.

So this week, I hit the mat! First I tackled a Layer Cake of Comma. Besides Fat Quarters, this is the first precut that I have ever bought. Not sure that I will go down this road again, but I will say cutting into a neat stack of already cut squares is pretty sweet! Plans for this delicious stack will be a Road to Tennessee project.

Then I attacked this bright and happy stack, which started it's way in a wee project which I will show you when I am all done. Aren't those deer so cute!

Then under the blade was some Amy Butler and Heather Bailey. These lovelies are the start of Melanie's Postage Stamp Quilt.
And then...because I could not stop myself, I tackled a sweet little stack of Flea Market Fancy. I cut this into 3.5" squares to make Hexies. The Hexies are part of The Library Project. I have a trip coming up in September, so now I have a travel project all ready to go.
Phew! That was a lot of cutting, but in the end I feel better and feeling super motivated with all of these fun projects on the go.

What are you cutting this week?
Adrienne

Linking up today at

11 comments:

  1. Wow, so much gorgeous fabric to chop up. I need to be in a reasonably good mood to cut fabric - otherwise I make mistakes and no-body wants me throwing a rotary cutter across the room in a fit of pique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, yummy, yummy! Looking forward to seeing all your projects come together! And i LOVE your happy stack with the deer, i'll be pinning that stack to refer back to for my littlest guy! Second birthday quilt coming up and that is just a fantastic selection of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love all of these fabric picks! Your projects are great. The postage stamp is so much fun. I am so glad that you are feeling better. I wish I had my mat and cutter with me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom recently offered to cut fabric for me. I think she wanted some cheap therapy of her own. She wanted to use scissors, though. I told her things have changed and I like to do my cutting on the fly.
    I love the Oh! Deer fabric, but I only bought a pack of charms. I wish I had some yardage. Maybe I'll get some, someday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely projects and great fabrics! It's great to put the time in and have those travel projects ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos....fabric looks just luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about cutting as therapy before but I like the idea. You got sooo much accomplished you just have to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought about it before but when I'm feeling burnt out I will often spend a few hours/days doing nothing but chopping up scraps or prepping projects. Very soothing :)

    You've got some awesome projects on the go here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree...whenever I'm tired or don't have the energy for anything else I turn to the mat!! In fact it's exactly what I'm going to do tonight, then it's all there for me ready to start sewing. Loving the deer stack such great zingy colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You literally hit the mother load! Have you ironed your fabrics yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that comment was supposed to be on your post about your newly acquired stash! Oops! But, I wanted to say here that I've been a bit down lately because of sewing machine dramas so I might take your advice, grab my rotary cutter an start slicin things up!!!

    ReplyDelete